Experience Bulgaria - shared - 11 hours From EUR 89
This is a small group full day tour from Bucharest to Northern Bulgaria.
You will meet the guide and the other fellow travelers at around 07:45 am at the meeting point in central Bucharest. The meeting point is in front of the Romanian Athenaeum, - the big concert hall with Greek columns located next to Hilton Athenee Palace Hotel. The exact address is 1-3 Franklin St., Sector 1, Bucharest.
At 08:00 am you will leave Bucharest heading south towards the Danube River and Bulgaria.
After one hour driving from Bucharest you will cross the border to Bulgaria over Danube river, the second largest river in Europe and then stop at Ivanovo to visit Ivanovo Churches (UNESCO heritage since 1979). Located in the Valley of the Rusenski Lom River, the rock-hewn churches are famous thanks to their impressive XIII-XIVth century frescos.
The second stop will be in Veliko Tarnovo, one of the most beautiful cities in Bulgaria, located on the banks of Yantra River. Also known as the City of Tsars, Veliko boasts an impressive fortress with the ruins of the former Tsarevets Palace and the patriarchal church, nowdays with modern and intriguing paintings. The medieval atmosphere is well kept in the city thanks to the old architecture and the narrow streets where you can admire local craftsmen and their work.
There are plenty of good restaurants in Veliko Tarnovo and we will choose one to enjoy the tasty Bulgarian food together with one of their fine wines.
The Village of Arbanassi is the next place you will visit, being located very close to the city. Arbanassi is a quiet and picturesque village which even today keeps the medieval touch through the old architecture.
The tour ends after returning to Bucharest.
- Ivanovo churches are closed between the 1st of December and 31st of March. During this period, you will visit the Roman ruins from Nicopolis Ad Istrum or the Basarbovski Rock Monastery.
- By taking this tour, please remember that you are leaving Romania and entering Bulgaria. Please ensure that your Visa requirements are in order and it is essential that you carry your passport (or ID card for citizens of EU states).
- TravelMaker is not responsible if the visited sites are closed without prior notice and for any reason at the moment you arrive.
- The order of the visits during the trip can vary depending on the weather and traffic conditions as well as on the visiting program switch from summer to winter season.
A BucharestB GiurgiuC IvanovoD Veliko TarnovoE ArbanasiF BucharestGoogle maps link
- Bucharest - Ivanovo (around 1.5 hours): visit Ivanovo Churches (UNESCO heritage since 1979)
- Ivanovo - Veliko Tarnovo (around 1 hour): visit fortress with the ruins of the former Tsarevets Palace and the patriarchal church
- Veliko Tarnovo - Arbanassi (30 minutes)
- Arbanassi - Bucharest (2.5 hours)
The church carved in rock from Ivanovo
Veliko Tarnovo, also known as the City of the Tsars is one of the most beautiful cities in Bulgaria. Located on the banks of the Yatra River, Veliko Tarnovo used to be the capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire.
Arbanassi, one of the oldest picturesque villages of Bulgaria